Headless Marie Antoinette
You can make most of these Halloween costumes yourselves, although some might stretch your maker skills. All of them are the types of disguises that fool people, and even if they do figure out how it's done, sometimes the deception is so strong that, like an effective optical illusion, people can't help but see the illusion instead of the reality. And what's better for Halloween?
Holding a living severed head
A living severed hand instead of a head
Kevin James and his Severed Hand
For this one to work, I think you must be a woman,
and you must already be pregnant.
In this video, kids scream as they're carried away... by themselves:
Halloween Illusion Costume - One Pretends to Be Two
You can see right through this gaping hole illusion.
Here's the secret
Death Becomes Her Costume - Hole through body effect
This upside down person is both cheap and easy.
And if you have a clown costume you can destroy, and a clown mask, you can make upside-down clowns, which are even creepier than right-side-up clowns. These clowns walking on their hands are from the 2010 Toronto Santa Claus Parade.
Imagine these coming down your street
in the dark on Halloween night.
Zoltar At The Mermaid Day Parade 2009
These plastic army man costumes are simpler, if you have an extensive green wardrobe and some green face paint.
I like the use of the green plastic fabric
that shines like, well, plastic.
It's the base that makes this
plastic army man so deceptive.
Awesome Homemade Costume
Here's the same effect, of someone carrying someone else in a box, in a professional costume:
Man in cage carried by a gorilla
Here Scott Holden is being carried by a Tauntaun beast in the costume listed on his site under "Incredible Stuff I Made." He's right.
Star Wars Tauntaun costume
One of the best Halloween costumes I've ever seen!
Finally, here are some more costumes I've written about before:
- How-Tuesday: Headless Marie Antoinette Costume From Makezine. Etsy>>
- Headless Ghost Head Holder, Moon Costumes>>
- Living severed hand, Instructables>>
- Pregnant basketball lady, Doctor Pistachio>>
- Halloween carrying illusion costume, Youtube>>
- Gaping Hole, Flickr>>
- Death Becomes Her Halloween Costume, Instructables>>
- Upside-Down Man costume, Sugar Bee Crafts>>
- 2010 Toronto Santa Claus Parade by Mike Boon on Flickr>>
- Zoltar At The Mermaid Day Parade 2009, Youtube>>
- Green Plastic Army Man, Cricketsoda>>
- Toy Soldier, Military LULZ>>
- Awesome Homemade Costume - Creepy man carrying a box, Youtube>>
- Scott Holden's Tauntaun Costume, Cockeyed>>
- Man in a portable toilet, One of the best Halloween costumes I've ever seen! Youtube>>